Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Susu Story




Baby, 8 pounds @ birth with mama

I remembered it used to be so difficult at first, I mean breastfeeding. Oh, I should say it was very eeeasy at first, when he was born. So easy because he would be sleeping and dozing off most of the time when he was in the hospital. We would normally overslept and wake up 3 hours later and feed him. Poor him. He must have registered this incidents....


Then, it becomes slightly challenging as we step into our dear home. His appetite started to increase tremendously (or that my milk factory is so damn slow in production??) and it felt like I am forever holding him for feeding except when he is sleeping. And as I could recall, he HARDLY had any long hour sleeps. And strangely enough, he stayed awake when he was with the confinement lady. And my confinement lady was the one keep 'fishing' and dozing away. Mama stayed awake every 2 hours to check on the confinement lady if she did make milk for my baby (either milk powder - when baby was diagnosed with high reading of jaundice or thawing the expressed milk). When his jaundice started to clear, I had decided to have him in his crib instead so that he will get used to his own bed and ever since then (touch wood), he slept well at night with a predictable pattern.
As I started fully breastfeeding him, it was not easy. I had to get myself doses of confidence from friends and aunts constantly by calling them for advise and experiences. THAT helps! I really have to thank Haz, Pru, Poh Chin and all my aunts who supported me all these while. So 'kam tong'...sob sob.

I recalled few very difficult incidences:
Case 1 : Midnight, both daddy and mama were so tired after we were discharged. (Noticed I said we? Daddy was staying there too with us when baby was born; he shuttled to and fro everyday to bring things for us if needed, poor him) Baby was demanding for susu, I was so fatigue, really, extremely fatigue. I fed him but he was still making fuss and demands further. Nothing can ease him except nursing. I tried lying on bed and fed him. My eye lids were heavy and I started to doze away..Afraid that he would get suffocated, I asked if daddy could stay awake for awhile to watch him. Hubby said ok, ok. He pat baby and within seconds I could hear him snoring away before I could even catch my own sleep! So I had to stay awake by constant praying ....Oh God, when can his stomach felt full?.... :P


Case II : Day time around 3pm, again asking for marathon feeding when mama was already so so so tired. I literally scolded him for the very first time (and so far, that was the only time now la, :P ) I had not learnt his pattern and I had yet to adjust myself fully yet and the production was not yet stable at that time.
Phew, all in all, it was all worth it. Baby is growing fine and he weigh a healthy 6.8kg and measured at 67cm length wise at 2 months old. All so worth it! Ha ha!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home