Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Balik Kampung

Yes, balik kampung. Not Klang but to the root - China - Hainan. The southern tip of China, separated from the mainland - a tropical paradise - Hainan.

Yes, we went there in a BIG group. Me, hubby, Jien, my father, my brother and wife, my nephews and nieces and my brother's FIL. Good gracious!

It was a memorable trip indeed. My anak buah had not travelled any further from Ipoh. This was their first time on board an airplane and they were all so excited.

I don't know about the rest, taking a break aside, I really wanted to visit my father's kampung. My father was of China Chinese origin. He 'migrated' to nanyang with my grandpa when he was 5 to evade from the then cruel invasion of Nippon. He had visited Hainan a couple of times ( almost a yearly event now! ) and this time I wanted to visit this place, with him. As he and my brother was rather familiar with the island, we traveled on our own without a tour agent / guide.

As it was in early November, the temperature was around 22-25 deg C on average. Very pleasant although we have to suffer a bit of the choking smell of open burning as it was the end of harvesting season.

Our kampung, Wen Chang was about 30-40 mins drive from the Qiong Hai city. Me and hubby love kampungs, don't know why. Maybe we love the sincere smile of the people and the slower pace of life. I met my cousins and other relatives whom we shared our ancestors. My cousins are actually my father's elder sister's sons and daughters. My aunt did not leave China. Anyway, my cousin owned a coffee shop and we were welcomed with their coffee and home made dessert. I am glad that they are doing well now.


More story next.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home