Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Progressing to Formula

Like most other exclusively breast fed babies, Jien disliked formula milk when we start introducing him at about 6 months. So much of coaxing, persuading, changing of mouth piece, changing the type of bottle/container did not do much help. So I had to still kept expressing milk though the production at that time was slowing down.

After about 8 months, I started to get back to work like normal, expressing milk takes time as production by then was really plunging. Hubby decided to try other brand of milk - 'S....lac', the brand Jien drank when he was down with jaundice. He started by taking only 1 oz, sometimes 2. So we mixed. I tried to 'shy away' from him every time my maid is feeding him so that he will not cling to me (or rather, my breast!!). It was a slow but a steady progress. My maid had to coax him most of the time and yes, we did throw away lots of milk.

One fine day, my maid decided to take away the mouth piece and spoon feed him. Bingo!! My boy started to drink MORE!

Since then, he is progressing well. He is now taking about 6 oz. of milk, 3 times a day. It is of course very time consuming as you can't use the big spoon nor you don't expect him to open his mouth all the time. Anyway, I think it is ok-lah. I guess our option now is to wait till he can drink directly from a cup.

As for the moment, his only breast feeding time is before he goes to sleep at night. Oh do I still producing milk?? Yes, I think I do. I think the occasional traveling helped a bit as during the trip, we sometimes skipped formula and go for the 'organic' which helps stimulate the production again.

Every time I meet my aunts and relatives, they would undoubtedly questioned me and went:

'Huh??!! You are still breastfeeding?? Got milk meh??"

'GOT.' I firmly said. Kekeke...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Contented Mum said...

thanks for the suggestion on changing different type of formula milk. I tried different mtd of feeding but not the brand of milk powder yet! Good that Jien is taking on FM now. My girl still drink very little when I am at work

11:43 AM  
Blogger blinka.Li said...

just got to try la and i wish you lots of luck!! :P Buy some sachet type and try try try!!! :)

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home