Wednesday, April 22, 2009

One Month - from hairy to hair-less


Yes, finally the confinement is over. Life as a princess is over and tomorrow I will be back to being like a 'headless' fly. I wonder how am I going to cope with having to taking care of 3 boys (hubby included). Having the replacement for confinement lady also meant that I am less of being a princess. Like I said, she is not very good in time management. So I took less nap and woke up more at night to make sure baby is in good hand. Maybe it is me being paranoid. But it seems to be a warm up for the up-coming days of sleepless nights!!

Having said that, Lian Je did introduced the miracle 'Bao Ying Dan' for my baby. Having tried the colic drops and all, my baby still seems to be quite restless at night and sometimes even day time. He kept wanting people to carry him and make hell of a noise even when he suckles as if he suffers great pain. After taking the powdery medicine (to mix with water), he slept quite ok for 2 nights and then the grumpiness starts kicking in again.

Lian Je said it could probably be 'Ah-tap-chai', which means to say the internal body of the baby is very 'hot'. So she took some flour and mix with water and rub it on baby's shoulder, miraculously the mixture dried up and I could see something like mini 'stalagmites' on the skin. Lian Je asked if I want to 'eliminate' the heat. She said no harm done, just rubbing flour only. Well, just like baking cake, I thought, no harm done kua. I started calling MIL and SIL for 'consultation' and 'green light'. With the permissions, there we go-preparing some flour, warm water, a shaver. What? A shaver??!! YES, a SHAVER!! Once the 'stalagmite' got stiffen, it needs to be SHAVED off, not plugged off because it would be very painful for the baby ( I could imagine that). Weird.

So with a mat, she rubbed the flour and water to baby's whole body except the head and face. For Jung, the heat area seemed to be his hairy area - his back and limps. After the rubbing session, baby was put in a bathing tub with warm water. Lian Je then applied baby lotion on his body and started shaving his body. So instead of shaving his hair on his head (a traditional way of marking a one month old baby), we are shaving his body hair!! OMG! Well, did I mentioned that my baby is actually quite hairy when he was born?? Oh, so sayang to see his 'identity' being shaved off actually......:(

The thing is, I was expecting baby to cry and scream on top of his lung for this, but strangely, he seems to be enjoying the rubbing, the shaving and the bathing!!

He now sleeps better with occasional colic. I am so thankful for having Lian Je for this. But still, I wonder why baby is so colicky since he is breast-fed all the time. Maybe he is not burped properly la. Anyway, a lot of people said after a month, the baby should be ok and more easy to handle.

I CERTAINLY hope so.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous mott said...

oh ya..i heard about this....

it's supposed to cool the baby down. glad it works!!!!

take care yea..dun go mad. remember the eye policy "EYE NO SEE".

:)

6:51 PM  
Anonymous mott said...

eeeee...so cute...look like YOU!

wanna cubit!

Then again...Jien aso look like you!
HAHAHAHAHAHAAH

6:53 PM  
Anonymous clair said...

Baby looks very matured for 1 month. Big is easier to care for.

11:37 AM  
Blogger blinka.Li said...

mott,
huh? look like me? he is almost 90% like his dad! so is jien. :P

clair,
heheh, that is the trick with having the baby lying down while taking picture, they look BIGGER. Anyways, he is about 4.5kg, put on about 1.5kg from his birth weight!! :)

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Seow Wei said...

Perhaps you should watch what you are eating since you are breastfeeding him totally. For my case, Leo turned colicky whenever I consumed foods with ginger and peanuts. His colic settled only after 3 mths...I massaged him daily and the tummy massage kind of worked for him...

Just my two cents worth.....

11:10 AM  
Blogger blinka.Li said...

Seow Wei!! Ah!! Long lost fren, how r u???!!

I remembered i massage Jien too, but he did not seem to be really enjoying himself, like 'tong kai' only. But he did like it when i stroke his back for the end of the massage!! kekekeke

Jung is so much better already after the confinement period. Maybe that is because i consume 'normal' food and less ginger??!! :O

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home