Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Schooling Boy-School Environment

Jien's kinder is no ordinary kinder. It is more like a day care center actually; catering for kids as young as 2 year old. Some are still wearing diapers! The center is small, with only 2 classes. What interests me was that they taught kids the basic thing : manners. I remembered when I first visited the school with Jien, all the kids stand up and bowed to us saying ' Ah Yi zao shang hao ' which means good morning auntie. When some kids came down and saw me, they too bowed and said the same. Pretty impressive.

The curriculum was also slightly different. Instead of learning the basic ABC, simple Chinese characters, these kids are taught to memorize and sing Shakespeare's poem, the Chinese literature like
三字經、論語.

I do agree that kids have EXTREMELY good memories. Their reasoning skill is, well, not so. So the best is to drown them with things to memorize.

Frankly, I don't know if my boy really learn anything in the school for the past 2 weeks plus. I just want him to be exposed to a Chinese-speaking environment for the moment. And I doubt that he even knows what books are in his bag except for the light snack we stuff in everyday. Hehe!

But being his mum, I know I can teach better than a teacher at this phase of his life (unless I am prepared to pay for a private tutor who teaches ONE TO ONE and that she/he is at least a degree holder!). I am very happy to say that he is now singing about half volume of the
三字經 with me (of course, with his English accent!) everyday and he enjoys learning it with me. I make sure I am not rushing it and I make sure that he is enjoying it. He also begins to write simple word like 一、 二、三、四.

Chinese (Mandarin) is hard for the recognition of the word unlike the simple ABC which make up words but it is quite easy learning how to speak.

I just hope one day I can go for a calligraphy class again to pick up my love for the art. But this time I want to do it with my boys!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Contented Mum said...

Is a joy to see the little one learning ya. My Qi Ning is also learning (3 zi jing). I am home schooling her now so she goes to a tecaher house for her chinese and daddy also tecah her chinese character!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous clair said...

I'm sure he'll have no problem :)

3:20 PM  
Blogger candorschool said...

There are relatively few Boys Only boarding schools and you may wish to to select them boarding school only for boys.IGCSE Schools in India

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home