Friday, August 04, 2006

Being Professional

I just remembered that I was supposed to write something about my visits to my earlier gynae.

Well, we visited him when bb is about 5 weeks old. That was our very 1st visit with bb to a gynae. It was a long wait and since it was a Saturday, we had no complaint but hey, we did have our appointment made at xx time and it was already way past the time. Finally the nurse called me in. We went into a room and ai? where is the doctor? She started of with 'So, when was your last period?' 'Is this your first?' ' Is your period regular?' Then, the questions went a bit out 'So what is your occupation?' 'Good income lah!' 'Where do you graduate from ah?' 'My sons ah.........' Oh boy, I am not interested to know about your sons. I am concerned about mine here! HELLO!

She started to even promote me to buy milk powder from her directly. She said she is doing it part time to support the family. She gave me her number in a small piece of paper and all I could do was just to return her kindness with a gentle smile. When the doctor suddenly budged in, she quickly stood up and made way.

The doctor asked the same routine questions again and did the scan. 'Well, the sac is looking good, right size. Correct position." " Your only concern is your fibroid, but not to worry, we will see how it goes as we go along."

That was all for the 1st visit.

2 days later, I had some brown discharge and being a naive mum, I got a bit panicky. Hubby started to google to find out about this 'phenomenon'. Most said no worries. But to be safe, we went again to our lovely gynae the very next day. When I was called in, hubby was not with me ( he came in later ). And so the drama began. Can u imagine the first thing that blurted from the doctor after I acknowlegded him about the brown discharge, was " Why you people made my life more difficult ?" Ha, excuse me? I was already so dead worried and this is what I get from a doctor? Hey, I paid u, u know!

Then, to add the salt to the wound, he said "I don't think this is good, you better prepare yourself, u know" I had to say that the doctor had done no examination yet to me at that time. He did not even touch me for goodness sake and this was his great opinion. He asked me to go to another room and did ultrasound scanning. He told me then this : "Oh, looks like the sac had shrunk! This is bad. But afterall, this is another machine, the reading could be slightly different from the earlier reading. I am not positive about this." "So, you can't do anything now, just rest at home and we will give u an injection now." What injection? What is it for? No explaination and the needle is already right in front of my face. Hubby was there asking some questions I think but I was too occupied with the doctor's earlier comments and I went numb after the injection. Not due to the drugs but the words, it numbed my whole body and I went speechless and my heart sank.....

Then we were ushered out and made payment. Huh? Just like that? Looks like anybody can be a gynae then...I was so devastated at that time with the thought that I am going to lose this baby and after stepping out from the stupid clinic, I cried non stop! Really, no joke, non stop! How could one possibly has any hope when a doctor mentioned something like this?

We then got a second opinion from another gynae a week later. She patiently explained to me that it is absolutely normal to even bleed at that particular week because the sac needs to be attached to the wall (placenta) and it will cause some bleeding. She also showed me diagrams of it and compared the size of a normal sac and mine. She also explained the meaning of fibroid, the danger of it and the cautions I need to beware of etc. She asked me not to worry now as if there is something wrong, the doctor will take a 2nd and 3rd scanning to really make sure there IS really a problem arise. ( note : she only do consultations, not in charge of delivery no more )

We stepped out from the clinic that day feeling relieved.

Well, now I am consulting a 'used to be' very 'handsome' gynae. Easy going and friendly. We are fine with him and had been with him ever since.

So, my advise is to get a second opinion or even 3rd opinion if need be. Sometimes even doctor can make mistakes and be harsh too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Queen Of The House said...

Hi! Your story reminds me of one bad experience with a gynae that I vowed never to see again. I went in bleeding from a miscarriage and he was rude!! But from that visit I got to know another fantastic one whom I nicknamed Doc Bollywood (yes, besides being very nice with impeccable 'bedside' manners, he was goodlooking too) :-) It makes all the difference to have a good and reassuring gynae.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Lydia Teh said...

Blinka.li, I enjoyed browsing through the OZ pix you took. You could tell your baby that he/she went to OZ before he/she was even born.

Some doctors are just not "humane" enough, to think of what the patients would feel with their crass attitude. Fortunately we do have a choice, don't like the treatment, switch to another doc. It's their loss.

My aunt once had a gynae who was so intent on making money that he tried to persuade her to go for a very expensive amniocynthesis (not sure of spelling). This is a test to determine if the baby has Down's Syndrome. For those of us who are against abortions, what good is an amnio? Whether the foetus has Down's or not, we're still going to have the baby. They're just out to make money. But of course not every gynae is like that and there are very ethical ones too. My gynae for my 4th baby was so happy to find out about my stand on abortion/amnio that she shook my hands with a big smile.

3:07 PM  
Blogger blinka.Li said...

Queen of the house,
So sorry about your mis-c. Well, at least we have found one who is good ler. Wonder yours is the one I am consulting now but mine is not 'bollywood' la.. :P

Lydia,
It is like talking to old friends again.

I like the pics too! My bulgy tummy is something that are different from my previous photos! :P

I guess the doc is out to make money. Actually there is a blood test that can be done and if deem necessary only after the test (high possibility of down syndrome) the doc will do this amnio test which is painful and kind of dangerous to the fetus. i am glad that there are loads of info that can be obtained via internet quite easily nowadays so that we are not that naive anymore..

3:19 PM  
Blogger ROYAL JESTER said...

blinka,
Been there done that. I went to different doctors just to find out if my placenta was really outside of the womb and when my local GP suggested that it was a level 4, which is so dangerous that I should be warded and under supervision by a gynae, I wasted no time and went for 2nd and third opinion. It wasn't the case at all and I was happy taht I made the decision to do so.

12:35 PM  
Blogger blinka.Li said...

pu1pu3,
Looks like everybody has a story to tell with their doctors or gynae...hmmm...

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home